Dogfish Head Punkin Ale




I hope everybody had a great, labor-free Labor Day weekend. Mine couldn't have started any better, as I scored my first (and second and third) four-pack of Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale. I was really waiting for this one to come out, especially after the disappointment with Bell's Octoberfest Ale. The Punkin Ale is a full-bodied brown ale brewed with real pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon & nutmeg. I know this because that's what's printed on the label.

From their site:
A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, organic brown sugar and spices. This is the perfect beer to warm-up with, as the season cools.

It's a great, hearty brown ale that finishes with a nice, slightly spicy note of pumpkin, cinnamon and brown sugar. What's great is that it doesn't have an overwhelming brown sugar sweetness or a mouthful of pumpkin pie filling. I really like the fact that it's still a beer first that gives a hint of the pumpkin, cinnamon and sugar. Well done, Dogfish Head. You've again supplied me with the ale that will take me through to October 31st!

I also saw that Chris Baker, G-Host from the now supermondo infamous Hauntcast gave his glowing review of Brooklyn Brewery's Post Road Pumpkin Ale. So I guess I'm throwing down the challenge. Dogfish Head vs. Post Road. I haven't seen Post Road anywhere here, but I'll keep an eye out. I'll update you all when I find it and put the two in a head-to-head competition. And may the best Punk win.

Got a pumpkin ale you think is even better? Hit us up in the comments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment