John Carpenter Live at the Majestic Theatre, Detroit 11/10/17


I was a bit surprised when I saw that John Carpenter was heading back out on the road for another tour, this time in support of his newest release, John Carpenter Anthology (Movie Themes 1974-1998).

When I saw the tour schedule, I noticed that again like last year, he was not stopping anywhere in Ohio (what the hell, John!?!?). The closest stop was Detroit, a nice three hour drive from the Cemetery. And after going back and forth, I eventually decided to check it out again, this time with Mrs. Highbury along for the ride. We don't get out to that many shows anymore, but for John Carpenter, we would make an exception!

We both hopped into the car and made the quick-ish drive over to Detroit, ready to experience an amazing show. We arrived at the Majestic Theatre 30 minutes before the doors opening, only to have to sit outside in frigid temperatures for over an hour. And furthermore, my camera was denied access to the show, so I could only shoot with my phone.

But even with all that, the show was incredible and we had an amazing time. Carpenter and his band came out and flawlessly cranked through his massive library of iconic horror film soundtracks and even included a few of his original compositions from 2015's Lost Themes.

Of course, if you have seen my post from last year's show, you'll quickly notice a LOT of similarities between that show and this one. A lot of the same songs and accompanying film clips that played behind the band played on this tour, too. But honestly, hearing live versions of utter Carpenter classics like Halloween, The Fog, Escape From New York, Big Trouble in Little ChinaThey Live and especially Ennio Morricone's epic title track for The Thing is an opportunity that I just couldn't pass up...
















And with a painfully steady hand, I was able to film the final track in their incredible set...




We really, really enjoyed this show. And even though it was very similar to last year's tour, I'm still glad I went, especially so that Mrs. Highbury could experience it. And she loved it, too. We were both happy that we made the journey.

And of course, we couldn't make it through the whole show without a stop off at the merch table. I ended up picking up a John Carpenter autographed vinyl copy of his new Anthology (Movie Themes 1974-1998) and an INSANELY cool Escape From New York shirt. And then I had to go back and buy an Anthology screened tote bag to carry it all in...



I've been spinning Anthology nonstop since I got home, and I highly recommend picking up a copy! Especially for that slightly more guitar heavy version of The Thing and for Christine. And obviously for Halloween and Assault on Precinct 13. And definitely for The Fog and In The Mouth of Madness. But mostly for They Live and Escape From New York. Yeesh.

Carpenter's Anthology Tour continues on, heading toward the East Coast, so get out and see him if he's playing near you. Or even if not! It is well worth the trip!

  


0 comments:

Post a Comment