Love Bites at the Haunted Schoolhouse




This past weekend, I got the chance to go check out Love Bites, the Valentine's-themed haunt event at the Haunted Schoolhouse and Laboratory here in Akron, Ohio.




I've been going to the Schoolhouse for years, as it's literally 10 minutes away from the Cemetery, and every time I go I get a little nostalgic, as it was one of the first haunted houses I ever went to growing up (I think my first trip was maybe 1985?).

I've always loved the haunts, especially with this year's new ownership changeover and much-needed updating. This weekend's Valentine haunt was no different, with a few added lovey-dovey touches and an overall fun and great show with a large turnout.



Come get a kiss from the infamous DuWayne/Tater!!




Smoochie! Smoochie!


But what made this trip a bit more special was that for the first time in 35 years, I got a nice little behind-the-scenes tour, thanks to the haunt's makeup artist, Dave from Closed Casket Studios.

And while the staging and makeup areas were a bit smaller than I thought they were going to be, what was contained in both had the nostalgia kicking in like crazy...





The absolutely first thing I noticed was this amazing gem tacked to the wall. I couldn't believe it! An original early, early poster from the 70s/80s. ADMISSION TWO DOLLARS!! FREE BABY SITTING!! They just don't make haunt posters like this anymore. And look at all that glorious retro haunt art. It was a thing of sheer beauty!! God, I wanted to take it home with me. I wonder if they would ever let me borrow it to scan it and maybe make a limited run of screen printed reprints of it? I would probably buy all of the copies!!

After drooling over the poster for a few minutes, I checked out all of the other old art and props in the staging area and then the makeup room...



An unused prop (possibly from Unit 70?) that stood at least 9 feet tall!






Cemetery friend Randy Skalos from Haunt on Williams Street came all the way from Conneaut, Ohio to check out the haunt with us. He was digging this prop, too.




Not sure how old this piece was, but damn was it cool!




Ugh, how much for the killer Frank mask!?!?




The art on the back door of the Schoolhouse's original old school bus! (Another great thing about the new ownership was their understanding in keeping a lot of the original elements for the nostalgic types like me. I loved checking the old bus out as it was now proudly displayed near the ticket booth. Well done!)

So after the haunt and behind-the-scenes tour was over, it was time to head out for some drinks and grub with the crew. But not before making a quick stop at the merch table and adding a hilarious and awesome new haunt shirt to my collection...



Well done, Schoolhouse. Well done!!

  

0 comments:

Post a Comment