Historic Akron Cemetery Rises From The Dead


When I started doing my Cemetery Sundays segments back in 2011, I didn't realize the connection that I would make to all of my local, historic cemeteries. 




In October of 2013, I visited an Akron cemetery, Mount Hope, after it was featured in a local newspaper story. At the time, the cemetery had fallen into total disrepair, much to the anger of locals and those that had relatives buried there. After the story ran, the city eventually stepped in and helped clean up the grounds and mausoleum. By the time I took my photos, clean up had begun and it was again somewhat presentable. 

Fast forward two years and this cemetery is again making the news.

And this time, the news is good! Akron Beacon Journal reporter Bob Dyer writes a follow-up to his original piece from 2013, showcasing David Venarge, a local businessman who after reading the original story decided to step in and do something about the cemetery's dwindling condition. To this point, Venarge has donated $100,000 for maintenance and upkeep to the grounds.

 Photo by Ed Suba, Jr. - Akron Beacon Journal

You can read Bob Dyer's full story of the cemetery's incredible turnaround at The Akron Beacon Journal.


After reading this story, I think that I will have to do my first follow-up photo session this October. I'm interested to see the progress that has been made (especially to many of the damaged tombstones), and I hope it will spur the city to act on other local cemeteries that deserve this kind of attention, too.

A heartfelt thanks goes out to Mr. Venarge for leading the effort to preserve this local cemetery and to Mr. Dyer for writing an excellent article, bringing his efforts to light!!

 

1 comments:

Lisa said...

That's awesome! That looks like a cool cemetery to explore!

Post a Comment