A Late Halloween Gift Becomes An Early Christmas Present


It all began with a ghost-story contest, a parlour-game, a serious young woman of eighteen years old who had run away with her boyfriend, and some very stimulating company—and a thunderstorm which kept them indoors...


Around the time of Thanksgiving, my wife and son presented me with a box. They said that it was originally supposed to be a surprise Halloween gift, but that it had only just arrived today.

Puzzled, I opened it. Inside was a face that I instantly recognized!




Frankenstein: The First Two Hundred Years by Christopher Frayling was hot off the Reel Art Press presses and delivered straight to my door. I was totally surprised, as I didn't even know about this new book! Over 200 stunningly beautiful pages detailing everything Frankenstein, from the original New Year's Day release of Mary Shelley's iconic 1818 novel (and its many interpretations), to Karloff's iconic Universal film monster portrayal, through the fascinating, wider metaphorical use of the storyline, and up to the firm hold of all things Frankenstein in modern day pop culture.








I haven't had a chance to fully dive into this monster yet (see what I did there??), but I can't wait to take it all in. I didn't realize that Shelley's Frankenstein story will turn 200 this January 1st. What a great time to celebrate my favorite horror character!

A huge thank you to my family for this gorgeous late Halloween/early Christmas gift! This is going to the top of my reading list immediately after the holidays.

Frankenstein: The First Two Hundred Years is available now at Reel Art Press and Amazon.com.


0 comments:

Post a Comment