Charnel House - "Upon Summer's End"



Here we are at day 2 of the
Countdown To Halloween celebration and I have ANOTHER surprise! Earlier this summer, I decided to revisit Charnel House, my "haunt ambient" audio project. I wanted to have a special release (still to come) for the big Highbury Cemetery 20th Anniversary, so I dusted off the headphones, grabbed a few old files and went to work!

Charnel House started back in 2018. I had discovered (and fallen in love with) the dark ambient genre, and had started using various dark ambient audio tracks in my annual Halloween yard haunt display. This type of audio sits just in the background and perfectly supports the ghastly visuals presented across the front yard, never taking over the focus with any recognizable sound.

In 2017, I started thinking about the creation of this style of music. I was very interested in the sounds used and eventually very curious about how to create them myself. I began to research audio software and how I could learn to use it. I have no formal musical education, outside of jackhammering on an old bass guitar in a fun punk band many years ago, but I knew exactly the sound I was looking for.

Fast forward to the start of 2018, and I took the plunge. I was deeply inspired as I set about learning how to "compose" my own ambient audio. I didn't yet know how to assemble it, but I fumbled through the process, even going as far as experimenting with my first field recordings.

As I continued to gather and create different clips and sounds, I began to refine my first test audio track. I walked a fine line adhering to my vision of creating ambient audio that spanned the dark ambient genre and the spirit of Halloween.


And today, I'm REALLY excited to resurrect this project and share the first brand new track, Upon Summer's End...

Withering foliage turns to fire before falling to brown earth. Once-warm breezes are cut sharply as the life cycle transitions toward its end. The oncoming darkness slowly creeps further, winning its battle against summer's light. The shadows hold whispers of the dark season to come...


This new track, like all of my Charnel House releases, are absolutely 100% FREE to download and use in your haunt display or other Halloween project! My gift back to the Halloween community. Enjoy!

Download Upon Summer's End here.

And visit my Charnel House page, where you can sample and download my earlier releases!

  

4 comments:

Guillaume said...

Might use this as background noise for work today.

highbury said...

Thanks, Guillaume! Enjoy it!!

Lady M said...

Used it to cook green tomato enchilada sauce today. Love those crickets.

Caffeinated Joe said...

Atmospheric as heck!

Post a Comment