"Horror Sound" Cassette


It's the first Friday of October, and that can mean only one thing...

Freebie Fridays!

Every Friday in October, I dig up one of the vintage novelty Halloween soundtrack cassettes, CDs, or vinyl records from my ever-growing collection and share it with all of my fellow classic "spooky sounds" junkies.

I've been doing this for quite a few years now, and I still absolutely love doing it. It's a great way to share the love during the Halloween season, and a great way to (re)discover some really neat-and-or-hilarious old novelty soundtracks from Halloweens long past.

So let's get down to business!!

Up this week, we have the "Horror Sound" cassette. I didn't know anything about it upon purchase, other than I knew I had to have it based on the questionable title and cassette art. 

Horror Sound. Not Sounds plural, but just one Sound. Definitely a glaring issue of lost-in-translation somewhere along the Chinese production line pumping out a vast array of ripoff "spooky sounds" cassettes from the 80s and 90s, for certain.

The cassette label itself is a wonderfully sparse smattering of clipart-level images of a single ghost, a single bat, and TWO trees. I just knew that this one was going to be a glorious stinker!

And upon dropping this into the cassette player and hitting play, my suspicions were confirmed. A really bad "copy of a copy of a copy" of Topstone's classic, Horror Sounds of The Night. Recorded with the volume turned up too loud, resulting in the speakers absolutely overpeaking with sound.

Nonetheless, "Horror Sound" is still worthy of being in my collection. In this case because it is so hilariously bad, but still a part of what makes collecting this genre so entertaining and fun. Grab a copy if you are a completist like myself, or just grab a copy of the superior original. The choice is yours! Enjoy!


DOWNLOAD "HORROR SOUND" HERE.


2 comments:

Caffeinated Joe said...

Classic. Many of us had these things. Blast of nostalgia.

highbury said...

I'm with you, Joe. The older I get, the more I long for those glorious olden days...

Post a Comment