Recap: Haunt Acting At The Haunted Schoolhouse


When I was 16 and briefly living in Plano, Texas, my friends and I decided to take our love of haunted houses to the next level. For years we had gone to local haunted houses in both Ohio and then in Texas, but we finally decided to take the next step and actually act in one!

A friend had gotten word that a local haunt in Plano (I can't remember the name, as it was way back in 1989), was opening and needed volunteer actors. So we jumped at the chance and hurriedly sped across town to get in on the action. Upon arriving, we met up with the people running the haunt, letting them know we were ready to go. They asked if we had brought any masks or costumes...

Of course we had nothing, figuring that everything would be supplied. I was one of the last volunteers to get assigned, and I remember the one thing they had left for me to use. A single flashlight. What the hell was I supposed to do with that??

So I grabbed the flashlight and unenthusiastically took my place in a dark corner. I realized that I needed to act fast to come up with a way to be scary. Even with nothing more than a flashlight.

It was at that point, even at my young age, that I realized that fear was already on my side. Patrons were already terrified, so I just had to keep the fright going until the next scene. As each person would walk through my darkened section, I would quickly flash the light on, pointing the light upward on my contorted face, then quickly turn it back off again, disappearing back into total darkness. The uplighting created unnatural and creepy shadows across my face and provided a quick jump scare with a simple growl or grunt. No mask or costume needed. It didn't work with every person that came through, but I still managed to get a few good scares.

I only volunteered one night at that haunt, as the prospect of bringing all of my own costuming or getting stuck with only a flashlight didn't appeal to me back then.

But fast forward about 15 years, and as I was becoming a home haunter back in Ohio, my one night of acting in a low budget Texas haunt became quite relevant again.

As I developed my home haunt and subsequently my acting within it, I thought back to that one night in Texas and what I had to do with so little available to me. It wasn't about what you had, but how you presented it that really made it scary. I eventually developed an acting style, gathering techniques and mannerisms that would really get the most scares.

Every Halloween, I would shamble around the haunt and eventually up and down the entire street, spreading fear to both trick-or-treaters and their parents. As the years went on, I began to think again about taking it to the next level...

Fast forward again to 2019, and I finally had the chance. In hanging out recently with my good friend Dave from Closed Casket Studios AND Akron's legendary (and still my favorite) Haunted Schoolhouse and Laboratory, he proposed that I come and guest act for a weekend. I couldn't believe it. I had to play it cool and tell him that I'd think about it, even though I was jumping up and down inside my head with such an opportunity presenting itself.

I had been going to the Schoolhouse and Laboratory since about 1986 or '87, when we would beg our parents to drive us down for a visit each October. Back then, we'd get the Friday section in the local newspaper and just ogle at the amazing black-and-white ads for all of the local haunted houses. But the ad I remember most was that iconic grim reaper inviting me to the Haunted Schoolhouse and Laboratory.

And after two years of living in Texas, it was one of the first haunts that I went back to. It holds such nostalgia for me, and I still go back each year.



A great old tv spot for the Haunted Schoolhouse and Laboratory, featuring legendary Cleveland late-night hosts, Big Chuck and Little John. And if you listen very carefully, you'll hear the classic "Chamber of Horrors" novelty cassette audio playing in the background, which you can actually get right here!!

So with this past weekend being Sweetest Day, they were expecting massive crowds and would need all the help they could get. I grabbed a costume and a mask (because this time a simple flashlight just wasn't going to cut it), and got ready to go. I was going to be a queue line actor for both Friday and Saturday night. I was a bit nervous, but I was a lot excited. I was finally going to get the chance to test my skills at the pro level.


I showed up on Friday night, found Dave, got a really quick tour, and got ready. The costume I was going with was my flesh-faced plague doctor, complete with the lantern staff that I made a few years ago for an MHC Masquerade Ball. I put on the costume, threw on the mask with one colored contact lens, took a deep breath, and was ready to go.




The "Plague Of The Flesh" character, and the lantern staff from my original 2017 MHC costume.


I got to sit in on the pre-haunt meeting and hang out with a few of the regular actors. And after a quick pep talk, we were released upon the masses...

As soon as I made my way toward the people already lined up to get in, it felt like a switch had been thrown. I immediately got into my haunt character and began menacing the crowd. It felt totally normal and comfortable. And it felt fun!

For 5 plus hours, I strolled the midway, scaring and chasing some patrons, while getting my picture taken with many, many others. I felt like a kid on Halloween again.

By the end of the night, I did feel pretty beat. Achy back, achy arms, and achy feet. But it was still so much fun. I drove straight home to bed, as I would need all of my energy and stamina for Saturday night, which was already shaping up to be an even bigger night...

The next night, I arrived to a palpable buzz. A huge crowd was expected and rumors of attendance records were already being talked about. A long night was ahead of me but I was ready to go. I again got into character, ready to be unleashed again.

This time, it was a non-stop flood of patrons. Lines quickly stretched through the midway, out the gate and deep into the parking lot. It was absolute mayhem. But I loved every single second of it. I canvassed the crowd with the other queue line actors the entire night getting screams, laughs and pictures all along the way. It was nonstop, but I had so much fun.

As the night eventually crept past 6 hours, my old body began to slow down and the aches and pains from the previous night had returned in full force. We eventually ushered the last guests into the Schoolhouse just after 1:30 in the morning. I sat down with a few of the other actors at the bar, did a quick congratulatory shot, and called it a night.

After all was said and done, Saturday night's crowd broke their all-time attendance record, and I was incredibly happy to be a small part of it all. A little dream of being a pro haunt actor, even for two nights, had been fulfilled and I was ecstatic.

I want to thank Dave and Katie for allowing me to come act at my favorite haunted house ever. Although it was actually hard on the body, I had an absolutely great time and would love the chance to do it again if you ever need me.

I also want to give high fives to Mrs. Alvah, Patient Zero, and Dr. Guggenheim, my fellow queue line actors for having me along and making it so much fun. You guys killed it all weekend!!

With this new haunt acting experience under my belt, I can't wait to unleash it all again come trick-or-treat night in my brand new neighborhood. But beware neighbors, because I'm coming with more than just a single flashlight this time...

  

1 comments:

The October boy said...

So happy for you. Sounds like a great experience.

Post a Comment