Reed Hill Cemetery - Medina, Ohio


It's time for another Cemetery Sundays post, where I take my camera through local cemeteries, photographing the richly ornate epitaphs and tombstones located within.

Last week, I mentioned the upside to moving into my new home, opening up an entirely new area of unexplored cemeteries. This week, I'll continue that with a cemetery discovered almost by accident.

Reed Hill Cemetery is a very small, old cemetery located one of the many backroads in Medina, Ohio. The only reason I discovered it was on a chance bike ride early one morning with friends. Although it was still dark, I noticed the shadowed outlines of tombstones as we raced down the road. I had just enough time to make a mental note of the intersection it was located at (I had no idea where I was at the time, as I was simply following guys who knew the route!).

As I started compiling my list for this year's cemeteries to visit, I remembered this one and located it on the map. As I arrived just after sunrise, I quickly realized that this cemetery had no signage whatsoever. No name, no nothing! In fact, I had to check Google Maps to find out what the cemetery's name was!

Nevertheless, I roamed the small grounds, which had a surprisingly large amount of great tombstones from the mid- to late-1800s, the target years for the most detailed tombstone work. Perfect reference material for future tombstones for my home haunt!

When I was finished, I had a camera full of great shots to share. So as always, sit back and enjoy (and be inspired by) Reed Hill Cemetery...






Royal Huntley. Aged 12 years, 2 months, 20 days. Killed by the falling of a tree. 
What a rough way to go...























I haven't seen too many tombstones like this all-metal one before. Is it galvanized to prevent rust? Very unique, and such a great old western font used for Pemberton Randall's name.
























Be sure to stop by again next Sunday (and every Sunday in October) to explore another cemetery in the Cemetery Sunday series!
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment