Old Town Graveyard - Medina, Ohio


Welcome to our third installment of Cemetery Sundays! Today, we travel to the town of Medina, Ohio to visit... well, uh... I'm not sure WHAT the correct name of this cemetery is!

Google Maps calls it Old Medina Cemetery, the City of Medina's official website calls it Old Towne Cemetery, and as I pulled into the parking lot, I immediately notice the sign on the grounds that calls it Old Town Graveyard. So I'm going with Old Town Graveyard.


Regardless of what you call it, Old Town Graveyard, positioned next to Saint Paul's Episcopal Church just off of the historic main square in Medina, Ohio really is a feast for the eyes. It was given to the city of Medina in 1818 and is the final resting place of the city's earliest settlers.

As I roamed the grounds, I noticed many of the stones, dating from the early to mid-1800s, had beautifully ornate epitaphs. And after more than 100 years, most were still in remarkably good condition compared to comparable stones in the local area.

This graveyard is definitely worth a visit if you are in the area. Some of the epitaph engravings are some of the most ornate and beautiful that I have ever seen. Lots of pics this time around, so sit back and enjoy!






As I walked by this obelisk tombstone, I noticed that all four sides were blank. No epitaph on any side. Upon closer inspection, I noticed at the bottom right side of the base, a small name and date in a wonderful script type. I was impressed. I had never seen an epitaph treatment like this before - very modern, especially for a tombstone from 1866!










James C. Welch, died from injuries received at the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863. Some history hidden here.








Rest in peace, "Little Georgie," aged 13 months.







An incredibly detailed and ornate epitaph. Amazing talent that you just won't see anymore.
 











It's also nice to see active steps being made towards the upkeep and maintenance of these old stones.








 

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That is a beautiful place to explore! Thanks for sharing!

Damian Michael AKA HalloweeNut said...

Ah, Medina, my hometown. This brings back memories. Thanks for sharing! Good luck on your haunt!

Post a Comment