The House of Shock - New Orleans


It's funny, sometimes, how things just work out. Mrs. Highbury and I were planning a trip to go blow off some steam in our favorite city of New Orleans. As we were going through the itinerary of what to do, I came upon a most pleasant surprise. During our 4 day trip, The House of Shock, New Orleans' most infamous haunted attraction would be opening its doors to kick off their final season.

Being in an incredible city that houses one of the greatest haunted attractions in the country and having that attraction start off the season while we were there?? Yes, please!!

On Friday night (opening night!), Mrs. Highbury and I took an only-somewhat-sketchy cab ride down to the warehouse district. We were met with a long, but fast-moving ticket line, and before we knew it, we were headed down the gravel road, between semi trailers and armed police officers to The House of Shock...

Upon entering the grounds I noticed 2 separate bars, a food stand, a stage with a band playing, a merch trailer and a queue line that sat in front of a large, multi-level stage...







While we sat in line, three large monitors at the top of the stage played clips from various horror films. Time passed quickly as I engaged in a game of "Name That Horror Movie" as each clip played.

After a few rounds of "Name That Horror Movie," and a few puzzled glances at the pregnant girl behind us who was smoking, the stage show began. An incredible live-action battle between the forces of good and evil, showcasing the new secret weapon of evil, a 9 year old boy. The 20 minute battle played out on the stage, complete with lighting, video, pyrotechnics and fireworks. And this all took place before we even entered the haunt itself!








After the stage show ended, we entered the highlight of the night: the haunt itself. To say that I was blown away is a complete understatement. Absolutely beautiful and detailed scenery throughout with many actors at each scene. This is honestly the best haunted attraction that I have EVER been to. Mrs. Highbury loved it as well, noting that there were at least 2 scenes that were so scary, it almost "made her cry." I almost ignored all of the actors, as I was trying to take in every last detail in each scene. But every actor (and even the actor who said that I had a Beatles haircut...) was top notch, especially the young boy who played the side of evil's secret weapon. He appeared at the end of haunt and never broke character once. It's unfortunate that I was not able to take photos inside the house. But then again, if I could, I'd probably still be there, snapping away.

After the roughly 30-minute walk-through, we exited out and made our way over to the bar to grab a New Orleans staple - an Abita Amber - as we waited for a taxi back to our hotel. As we waited, something caught my attention on a side stage, so I went over to investigate...




Of course, it was someone getting hooks embedded into their skin for a little bit of suspension. It was fascinating to sit and watch the procedure being done. He barely moved as the hooks pierced his flesh. The true highlight was when he was tethered to a girl with a set of hooks in her back and they engaged in a tug-of-war...

When we reached the bottom of our Abitas, I had just enough time to visit the merch trailer. As with everything else on the evening, there was an array of great shirts and hoodies, making it a tough decision as to which one was coming home with me...

So I bought two!



Getting to experience The House of Shock on my mini-vacation during their final year was absolutely amazing. It was the highlight of my trip. It is without a doubt the greatest haunted attraction that I have ever been to. A tip of the skull to everyone involved in producing this incredible haunt. And rest in peace, House of Shock, 1993-2014...


  

0 comments:

Post a Comment