Union Cemetery - Steubenville, Ohio (Day 2)


Time for another installment of Cemetery Sundays. Last week, I shared the first round of photos from Union Cemetery in Steubenville, Ohio. My day was cut short when the skies opened up and I was forced to pack it up after touring only half of the grounds.

The following day, the sun came out and I was able to return to the cemetery. Little did I know that the rest of the tour would take an incredible three hours. Everywhere I turned, I was stopping to take another photo. 

Union Cemetery is, without a doubt, one of the most incredible cemeteries that I have been through. So sit back, play some Halloween music and enjoy this huge collection of unique and beautiful tombstone and mausoleum photos!








I don't think this is what they meant when they say, "DiSaronno on the rocks," but why not share one with the departed?

 








There's an interesting yellow mold growing on these tombstones. I've never seen a mold growth so bright.
 







This is definitely the most detailed epitaph I have ever photographed. I can't even imagine how long this must have taken to carve...

 




I spent a lot of time at this mausoleum, soaking in its creepy beauty...
 









Last week, I admitted that Mrs. Highbury and I had our wedding photos taken here 14 years ago. And this was the mausoleum where most those photos were taken. Still, this area is meticulously maintained.


 













The cemetery's most unique tombstone, the infamous Dog Marker. Erected after the owner's death, the dog sits and watches over his master's grave...





After three hours of taking pictures, I received a visit from my little friend that I had met the day before on the McCook Trail.

At this point, my lips were parched and my camera's card was almost completely full. After nearly 200 photos, I decided to call it a day. I cannot recommend enough a tour of this cemetery if you are ever in the area. It may seem nondescript from the entryway that sits near the modern football stadium, but the treasures that are contained within are well worth a stop.

  

0 comments:

Post a Comment