Suspiria (2018) Poster & Trailer


I am the first to admit that I'm against remakes. Especially horror films. Never even come close to the original, ultimately serving only to tarnish the original's reputation, uninspired, cheap cash grab, Hollywood is out of new ideas, and on and on and on.

And I was filled with complete dread (and dare say outrage) upon hearing the latest title to be remade: Dario Argento's 1977 masterpiece, Suspiria.

How could you do that!? WHY would you do that!? How can you compete with Goblin's original, iconic score!? And on and on and on.

And then a strange thing happened. I started seeing the first clips of the new film, and I wasn't mortified by what I saw. I specifically remember thinking, "that actually doesn't look half bad."

Of course Argento's signature bold swatches of vibrant color were absent, but this new version had its own muted, highly sophisticated look and feel. Every shot looked meticulously planned and stylistically shot, giving an unexpected sense of maturity (similar to the look and "slow burn" feel of Hereditary or The VVitch). And yes, you could even relate what was going on to Argento's original "ballet school for witches" storyline.

And on top of that, the official film poster was released today. And I absolutely love it:


Poster image courtesy of Bloody Disgusting.


The title typography is striking, especially when it's framed in by the bold, stark blood splatters and monotone eyes. It really relates to what I have seen in the trailer. This poster is so far ahead of most other film posters that are churned out anymore.

At this point, I'm almost rooting for this film to be the one remake that does it right. I'm hoping that Luca Guadagnino can take the classic original and do something truly interesting with it. He has an amazing cast to work with (I'm looking at you, Tilda Swinton), and I just hope that the story is as interesting and focused as the film's cinematography.

Suspiria hits theaters on November 2 and I think I'm going to be in line to see this one. Check the trailer below and let me know what you think!






0 comments:

Post a Comment