DuClaw Brewing - 31 Pumpkin Spiced Lager


The pumpkin beers are out in force and it's time to once again rate a few in my highly scientific Drunken Jackos rating scale. Every Halloween season, I grab any new pumpkin beer that hasn't been rated in previous seasons, pop the cap and see how it stacks up.

DuClaw Brewing's 31 Pumpkin Spiced Lager is the first pumpkin lager I have ever tasted, and I was excited to try it out. I was interested to see how much pumpkin could be blended into a lager style beer...



Upon first pour, I was surprised at the beer's dark copper color. It only had the slightest note of pumpkin, but had a nice spice fragrance. That spiciness was also present in the taste, finishing with a slight malty dryness of nutmeg. While the sweet pumpkin flavor wasn't really noticeable, the great mix of spices made up for it nicely. And even with that, the lager style beer kept it light enough and very drinkable, especially on those busy nights in the garage, hammering away at this year's props.

Because of the lager-styled lightness and drinkability coupled with the complex spice flavors, DuClaw Brewing's 31 Pumpkin Spiced Lager earns 3.5 out of 5 Drunken Jackos.



On a side note, I would really like to sample their 62 Imperial Pumpkin Ale in the near future, because twice as much of a good thing couldn't possibly be bad, right?

  
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment