Guest Acting At The Haunted Schoolhouse And Laboratory


This year, I had another opportunity to do some guest acting at the famous Akron Haunted Schoolhouse and Laboratory. With it being their 50th Anniversary (as well as the 20th Anniversary of Highbury Cemetery!), I knew that I wanted to upgrade my haunt character for this year...

So I took my "plague doctor" character from the last few seasons, and decided to build from that. I definitely wanted to keep my illuminated staff accessory prop, originally built back in 2017 for an MHC costume ball. It still gets many compliments every time I carry it and its a great focal point to have outside of the character itself. The illuminated, swaying lantern and the clanging bells add nice visual and auditory touches to the overall character.

The one big upgrade for this year was the mask. The Pumpkin Pulp "Plague" mask is a great piece that cuts a great, creepy profile, but it was definitely time for a change after 2 or 3 seasons of use. So I decided to go all in on a new silicone mask, and settled on a new "Dark Mummified" variant of the Exhumed mask from Immortal Masks. Although it was a hefty investment, it has been absolutely worth every penny. The silicone moves freely with any turn of the head and emotes clearly with any facial expression. Plus, the mummified, undead corpse sculpt and paint job is absolutely perfect paired with the weathered brown hood of the cloak costume. 

Pair this with a new pair of all-red mini sclera contact lenses from PsEYEche and a horrifyingly gross, fully blackened tongue (thanks to a handy bottle of Mouth FX Pitch Black liquid), and it got great/grossed out reactions all night. I channeled my inner Gene Simmons as guests asked for photos with me, and just before taking the photo I'd stick out my gross, black tongue. The guests loved it and I'm VERY happy with this upgrade!




I ended up working two nights as a queue line actor, menacing patrons in the long lines and midway area, getting them ready for what was to come inside the houses. I took tons of photos and got many compliments. The entire character came together really well and everything worked flawlessly on both nights. I couldn't be happier with the new upgraded version, and I'm now ready for one more night of acting... this time for my own yard haunt on Halloween night!

  


1 comments:

Haunted Eve said...

That mask is great. The "mummified brown" paint job is the best of the color options from Immortal Masks. That's a pro level costume across the board!

Post a Comment