Market Garden Brewery - Franklin Castle Pumpkin Spice Ale


We're just getting started in the October season, but the annual, ever-increasing selections of pumpkin-flavored beers have been on the local grocery shelves for months already.

I'm actually a big fan of all things pumpkin beer, and a few years ago I came up with an idea to rate them all. Starting in October, I'd grab a different beer from the local grocery store shelf, bring it home, pop the top and see how it stacked up.

Thus, the HIGHLY scientific Drunken Jackos Rating Scale was born! Give a quick review of the beer, then give it a rating based on a 1-to-5 Drunken Jackos scale. Simple!




Today, I'm starting with a beer brewed right up the road from me in Cleveland, Ohio. Market Garden Brewery's "Franklin Castle Pumpkin Spice Ale" is a big hit for a few reasons.

First, being a lifelong Cleveland guy, I'm happy they named it after Franklin Castle, the legendary Victorian home reported to be one of the most haunted in Ohio. But winks to the city's haunted history aside, I wanted to pop the top on this one and rate it!

Upon first pour, I was met with a nice sweet, earthy spice note. Not overpowering, yet quite fragrant. It poured a nice rich, dark copper with just a slight foam head.

The beer had a crisp, smooth, sweet cinnamon spice flavor up front, followed by a surprising and different hint of vanilla. The sweetness gave way to a nice smooth, dry caramel aftertaste to round it all out.

I made quick work of this one, and I was really quite impressed. That little hint of vanilla was really quite unexpected, but made for a unique take on the pumpkin ale field. And because of that, Market Garden Brewery's Franklin Castle Pumpkin Spice Ale scores 4 out of 5 Drunken Jackos.




This is a really great beer to start the season off. Smooth and flavorful, and easily drinkable.


************

**And as an added bonus, I see that TONIGHT, October 3rd, Market Garden Brewery is holding their 8th Annual Pumpkin Beer Festival!!



From their event page:

Franklin Castle Pumpkin Spice Ale, Franklin Castle aged in rye whiskey barrels--CO2 and on nitro, Pumpkin Giant, and Franklin Castle poured from a pumpkin.

We'll also have a dozen guest pumpkin beers and ciders to round out the offerings.

We will be highlighting a special pumpernickel rye pretzel and sweet potato pie, as well as other fun seasonal dishes.

Corn hole, giant jenga and pumpkin painting will also be available...

Wow, that sound pretty cool!! If you're anywhere near the Cleveland area, it might be worth checking out. Unfortunately, I'm booked solid already so I'll be drinking my Franklin Castle from the couch...

  

3 comments:

Guillaume said...

Don't know that one. Would love to try it. Here in the UK I drink Hobgoblin around Halloween, and other Wychwood products (Scarecrow, Pumpking, Black Wych).

Lady M said...

Wow - beer poured from a pumpkin. Now that would be something to see.

highbury said...

Guillame, I enjoy Hobgoblin (when I can get it at the local stores)! I actually got the collectable "cauldron" mug to drink it out of, too!

Lady M, I thought it would be cool, but the more I thought about how gross the inside of a pumpkin actually is...

Post a Comment